- Save £45 on single adult Family Explorer Ticket for 12 months
- Get unlimited access for 1 adult & up to 3 children
- Buy annual Portsmouth Historic Dockyard pass for £95
Portsmouth Historic Dockyard
*affiliate links: find out how we are funded and why this helps us remain free to use.
- £45 off Family Explorer
- £30 off Family Explorer
- £5 off Ultimate Explorer
- £5 off 3 attraction tickets
- One attraction for £24
- Top deals & discounts
Get set for a fun day out with all the family at Portsmouth Historic Dockyard. Discover the past, present and future of the Royal Navy at this naval base full of attractions including the 16th-century Mary Rose, HMS Victory and harbour tours, among many others.
Top Portsmouth Historic Dockyard offers
Save on visits to the Portsmouth Historic Dockyard in 2023/2024 with the latest deals and discount offers on cheap tickets and annual passes including the Ultimate Explorer* and Family Explorer*. Book online up to 24 hours before your visit to save.
- Save £30 on 2 adults Family Explorer Ticket for 12 months
- Get unlimited access for 2 adults & up to 3 children
- Buy annual Portsmouth Historic Dockyard pass for £120
- Save £5 on unlimited visits to ALL attractions for 12 months
- Visit as often as you like + Harbour Tour & Gosport
- Prices for adults - £39, seniors - £38 & children - £29
- Save £5 on unlimited visits to three attractions for 12 months
- Visit chosen three attractions + exhibitions & facilities
- Prices for adults - £34, seniors - £33 & children - £24
- Book one day tickets for Portsmouth Historic Dockyard
- Visit one attraction, exhibitions, cafes, restaurants & shops
- Prices for adults - £24, seniors - £23 & children - £19
- Save on cheap tickets for Portsmouth Historic Dockyard
- Check out latest discount offers & explorer deals
- Book online & save with freeze at 2020 prices
About Portsmouth Historic Dockyard
Portsmouth Historic Dockyard* is the open, public space where history comes alive within the working HM Naval Base Portsmouth (HMNB Portsmouth for short).
This active base is home to some two-thirds of the Royal Navy's surface ships, including the latest aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth, the largest ship ever built by the Royal Navy.
The visitors' side of the dockyard, meanwhile, shares tales of the base's naval evolution, which has played a vital role in the development of the city of Portsmouth since the late 12th century and still employs thousands of people locally.
Today, it is a major attraction with something for all ages and interests. There's everything from exhibits and museums to ships, interactive displays and harbour boat tours to help bring the site to life.
There are more than 10 main attractions spread over two sites; firstly, the naval base at Portsmouth and, secondly, Gosport, just across the harbour.
A complimentary waterbus service* between Portsmouth and Gosport (daily except between November and March, when it operates at weekends only) to help you navigate between attractions as easily as possible. The service typically operates every half an hour, weather depending, and takes up to 15 minutes.
When you purchase either the Ultimate Explorer* or the Family Explorer* ticket, you are guaranteed entry to all of the attractions found both within the naval base and Gosport, as well as access to the waterbus service.
The main dockyard and bulk of the attractions are found within the naval base. These include the following stars of the show:
- HMS Victory* - step aboard the famous warship that fought at the Battle of Trafalgar under the guidance of Admiral Horatio Nelson. The ship is also a museum dedicated to the navy in Georgian times.
- The Mary Rose Museum* - examine the remains of Henry VIII's flagship, which was sunk in the Battle of the Solent in 1545. It is the only one of its kind worldwide.
- HMS Warrior 1860* - take a tour in what was once Britain's fastest, and the nation's first iron-hulled armoured battleship; the pinnacle of the Royal Navy in Victorian times.
- National Museum of the Royal Navy* - journey through 350 years of Royal naval heritage with exhibits, displays and interactive guides.
As well as numerous other smaller attractions, including the harbour boat tours* and Dockyard Apprentice exhibits, ticket holders will be able to enjoy further experiences within the Portsmouth Historic Dockyard:
- Action Stations: Commando Experience* - got what it takes to join the Royal Marines? Find out with these commando-style challenges.
- HMS M.33* - set foot on the only remaining ship to have witnessed the disaster in the Dardanelles during WWI and the following Russian Civil War
- Boathouse 4* - explore this inside of this typical 1930s' style boathouse, which opened in 1939 to help with rearming for WWII.
Gosport sits a short hop across the harbour from Portsmouth. Here, two main exhibits run by the National Museum of the Royal Navy (NMRN) can be visited with Explorer* passes and Three Attraction* tickets.
- Royal Navy Submarine Museum* - visit HMS Alliance, the only remaining WWII-era submarine and explore the collection of plans, documents and photos that make up the museum's exhibition.
- Explosion! Museum of Naval Firepower* - an interactive museum considering the goings-on of the old 18th-century powder magazine at its centre.
There is a variety of ticket types to choose from when planning your visit to Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, however, the best value tickets are undoubtedly the annual Explorer* passes, which include limitless visits for one year.
|What's included||Explorer||Three attractions||One attraction|
|Time period||12 months||12 months||One day|
|Number of attractions||All||3||1|
|Historic Dockyard site||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Cafes, restaurants and shops||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Boathouse 4 boatbuilding exhibition||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Dockyard apprentice exhibition||Yes||Yes||Yes|
Compare prices for access to the Portsmouth Historic Dockyard based on whether you're a family, group, couple or individual. Save £5 on Explorer* passes and Three Attraction* tickets when you buy online before you visit.
|Ultimate Explorer*||12 months||All||£39||£38||£29|
|Family Explorer (1 adult)*||12 months||All||£95|
|Family Explorer (2 adults)*||12 months||All||£120|
|Three attractions*||12 months||3||£34||£33||£24|
|One attraction*||One day||1||£24||£23||£19|
If you're planning a trip to Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, there are some important things you need to know including opening times, getting there, parking options and nearby hotels.
|Attractions||Days of the week||Opening times||Last entry|
|Portsmouth Historic Dockyard||Mon - Sun||10.00 - 17.00||16:30|
|Royal Navy Submarine Museum (winter)||Wed - Sun||10:00 - 16:30||16:00|
|Royal Navy Submarine Museum (summer)||Mon - Sun||10.00 - 17.00||16:30|
|Explosion! Museum of Naval Firepower (winter)||Wed - Sun||10:00 - 16:30||16:00|
|Explosion! Museum of Naval Firepower (summer)||Mon - Sun||10.00 - 17.00||16:30|
Portsmouth Historic Dockyard sits within Portsmouth Naval Base in the heart of the city of Portsmouth in Hampshire, UK, approximately 1.5 hours by train and 2.5 hours by car from London.
Portsmouth Historic Dockyard
Victory Gate, HM Naval Base
Portsmouth Harbour train station is just a couple of hundred metres walk to the entrance on Queen Street.
Trains run regularly from London Waterloo with South Western Railway as well as Southampton Central with links to the west of England. Check timetables and ticket prices at Trainline*.
Local and regional buses are available with Hard Interchange the nearest stop to Portsmouth Historic Dockyard.
If you're planning on driving to Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, you'll find it just 5 miles from Junction 12 of the M27. Brown tourist signs showing 'Historic Dockyard' guide you through Portsmouth city centre.
There is a wide selection of parking options for Portsmouth Historic Dockyard with nearby car parks plus park & ride* options on the outskirts of Portsmouth.
NCP* operates car parks at Cascades and Market Way and JustPark* offers pre-booked on-street parking and off-street car parks across Portsmouth.
|Car parking options||Address||Postcode|
|Portsmouth Historic Dockyard Car Park||Admiralty Rd, HM Naval Base||PO1 3GW|
|Gunwharf Underground Car Park||79 Gunwharf Rd||PO1 3TZ|
|Park & Ride Portsmouth||Tipner Interchange, M275 J1||PO2 8AN|
Can't find what you're looking for? Find even more savings on days out and attractions.
Get your weekly fix of holiday inspiration from some of the world's best travel writers plus save on your next trip with the latest exclusive offers
We promise not to share your details
Explore holidays in the sun for less
- Beach holidays
- Family holidays
- City breaks
- Summer holidays
- Winter sun holidays
- Holiday offers
- Top travel brands
- Airlines & flights
- Discount hotels
- Airport parking deals
- British Airways
- easyJet holidays
- Love Holidays