Top 5 luxury hotels in Antigua
The Caribbean island of Antigua and luxury hotels go hand in hand, and with the nickname 'land of 365 beaches', you know you're going to be spoiled for choice when it comes to deciding where to soak up the sun.
To help you choose the perfect place to stay when splashing out on the island, we've compiled a list of our favourite luxury hotels in Antigua where you can do far more than simply sleep.
1. Sugar Ridge
In a unique position on a hillside above Jolly Bay Harbour, Sugar Ridge* really does have some of the best views on the entire island, and the hotel itself is luxurious in a low key, traditional Antiguan style.
The colonial cottages are sprinkled through a lush tropical rainforest, complete with dark wood furnishings, mosquito-netted four-poster beds, verandas and ceiling fans, giving this, one of Antigua's newer luxury properties, an olde-worlde feel.
One of the few luxury hotels in Antigua that is not beachfront, the property runs a Land Rover shuttle to the nearby beaches, while the bustle of Jolly Harbour is just a few minutes away. Alternatively, you can choose to simply relax on your balcony and enjoy the west-facing views and cooling breeze.
- Location: Jolly Harbour in the southwest of Antigua
- Luxury level: 4+ star
- Ultimate luxury treat: for foodies it has to be dinner at Carmichael's, Sugar Ridge's award winning restaurant boasting incredible romantic vistas from its elevated position on one of Antigua's few viewpoints; you'll dine alfresco under the stars on a menu of locally sourced ingredients, from the catch of the day to Caribbean plantain
2. Blue Waters Cove Suites Penthouses
An independently British-owned boutique property which has been impressing guests for half a decade and showered with awards by everyone from Harpers & Queen to Conde Nast, Blue Waters is known for elegance and quality.
The original Blue Waters* property added a refined luxury element several years ago with new suites and penthouses, which take the five-star service here to a new level. The addition of an Elemis Spa takes pampering at Blue Waters Cove to new heights and brings in rave reviews year after year.
- Location: Soldiers Bay at the northern tip of Antigua
- Luxury level: 5 star
- Ultimate luxury treat: the perfect luxury excursion from the northern coast of Antigua is to reach the south shores and back again all in a single day by circumnavigating the island on a private catamaran
3. Jumby Bay
What could be more synonymous with the ultimate in Caribbean luxury than a private 300-acre island complete with white sandy beach, surrounded by azure seas?
The private, all-inclusive retreat of Jumby Bay* (named after the local word 'jumbee' which means 'playful spirit' in Antiguan) is accessible only via a seven-minute boat ride and maintains an elite status as a private paradise for the discerning crowd.
While the hotel is notoriously discreet about its celebrity clientele, it's no secret that there's virtually an A-list name for every day of the year at [Jumby Bay - everyone from Paul McCartney and Jim Carrey to Hilary Swank and Mariah Carey have holidayed here, either at the hotel or in the private villas dotted around the island.
- Location: Jumby Bay Island, which was first discovered in the late 1400s by Christopher Columbus, is located off the northeast coast of Antigua
- Luxury level: 5+ star
- Ultimate luxury treat: your entire stay at Jumby Bay really is one long treat, so instead of having to weigh up which excursions to take, you'll be able to take your pick from all the water sports that come as standard, including water skiing, kayaking, snorkelling and a sunset cruise
4. Galley Bay Resort
Deservedly one of the most popular of the beachfront luxury hotels in Antigua, Galley Bay* is a premium all-inclusive, adults-only resort that's ideal for a relaxing getaway.
Guests return time and time again to enjoy the wide stretch of beach, be pampered by friendly staff or indulge at the Balinese style spa, and all rooms have their own private plunge pool (the Tahitian style Gauguin cottages), or are designed so that you can step straight out onto the beach.
From tennis and snorkelling to cycling, kayaking and yoga are on offer for those whose idea of luxury is a little more animated, and if you're in search of even more action the capital St. John's isn't far away for a spot of shopping.
For those after peace and quiet, a visit to the library will do the trick, as there are plenty of places amongst the manicured gardens to lay back and enjoy a good book.
- Location: Galley Bay is on a headland in the north of the island, close to St. John's
- Luxury level: 5+ star
- Ultimate luxury treat: once you've tried all the activities on offer why not take your holiday to new heights with a private helicopter tour of the island?
5. Carlisle Bay
As the only Antiguan member of the renowned Leading Hotels of the World portfolio, you won't find any wristbands or even the term 'all-inclusive' here. Instead, the so-called Super Chill Out package is what this elegant south coast outpost offers guests who'd like to enjoy unlimited indulgence, rest and relaxation.
The enormous spa tells you how serious Carlisle Bay* is about relaxation, while the resort's restaurants let families and couples dine on different evenings, which is the sort of small touch that makes all the difference.
- Location: St. Mary, in the middle of Antigua's south coast
- Luxury level: 5 star
- Ultimate luxury treat: while you find yourself positioned on the south coast of Antigua why not push the boat out with a unique trip to the volcanic island of Montserrat, a modern day Pompeii, which remains partially buried under ash but is nevertheless a fascinating and intriguing tourist trip
Antigua, like the rest of the Caribbean, has a pronounced high and low season, and while the best time to go to Antigua as well as the most popular, is during the European winter, culminating in the famous Antigua Sailing Week, it is well worth seeking out deals during the island's low season.
The delightfully slow pace of life Antiguan style, as well as steady temperatures of around 30°C, make Antigua a great escape at any time of year, and if you're seeking out luxury hotels in Antigua this is the time to score yourself a five-star holiday for less.
Ready for a taste of luxury? British Airways and Expedia both offer holidays at one or more of these mighty fine hotels in Antigua. Don't miss our complete collection of holiday deals and discounts for any other online offers for your trip to the Caribbean.
More about Antigua
Get your weekly fix of holiday inspiration from some of the world's best travel writers plus save on your next trip with the latest exclusive offers
We promise not to share your details
*affiliate links: find out how we are funded and why this helps us remain free to use.